Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September Savings Series: Part 1

Let me start by saying that I know I promised a post about kitchen revamps but that can wait for tomorrow. Tonight I'd rather post what's on my mind...

September Savings: Post One!

The first post of  the September Savings series is about coupon basics. First things first, you need coupons! The easiest way to do this is to buy a Sunday paper, but they can also be found online or in magazines. Inside of each Sunday newspaper will be 1-3 coupon inserts. When I first started to coupon I would try to find coupons (for products I actually use, or wanted to try) that added up to the value of the newspaper. For example if my newspaper cost me $1.25 I tried to find at least $1.25 worth of coupons to make my money back, though I usually found more. This is an easy way to find out if couponing is 'for you' or not. You can also try what's called "stacking" to get more for your money. Stacking simply means using a coupon for a product while that product is on sale. Let me break it down for you... And this is just an example of prices too.

The store sells diapers at $20.00 per box.
You have a coupon for $2.00 off of this brand of diapers.
This week the store also has a sale on diapers.
Original price: $20
Sale price: $18
Price after coupon: $16
So now you've doubled your savings by "stacking" your coupon with a store sale!

Resources to find great coupons:
     All You Magazine
     http://www.coupons.com/

That's all for Post One of the September Savings series. It's a short post but a huge foundation for later information. I hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekends and hey, only two more days until the next one gets here. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment